- Category: Newsletter
- Published on Wednesday, 15 March 2017 15:52
- Written by Marilyn Kile
- Hits: 52
Front Porch Pickin
Front Porch Pickin News Letter
The Viroqua Bluegrass/Gospel Music Association (VBGMA) is busy preparing for our upcoming festival on July 7, 8 and 9, 2017. We already have the Vernon Co. Fair Grounds in Viroqua reserved. We have a 40’x140’ tent reserved from Tom‘s Tent Rental. The Viroqua Lions have graciously agreed to provide tasty homemade pies for us along with other great food. We have Tim Hughes contracted as our sound man. And, we have contracts with The High 48s, String Ties, The Purdy River Band, The Hartley Family Bluegrass Band, Truman’s Ridge, and our local band The DisChords. We expect this festival to be our best one yet! Lots of great music, jamming with friends, workshops on acoustical stringed instruments, a great shared potluck on Thursday night, and hopefully all of you at the festival with us.
We would love to have you as an individual, or a business, be a sponsor or co-sponsor, of a band again this year. If you are willing to do this please contact our association treasurer Marilyn at (608) 625-6780. Any amount, ten, twenty, thirty, fifty……dollars will be appreciated. Individuals and businesses will be recognized each time the sponsored band is introduced to play at the festival. Sponsors will also be listed in our festival program under the name of the band being sponsored. Please note that the dollar amount given by each sponsor will not be listed in the program. We are hoping that this process will help us to meet budget this year. Remember, we are a 501.3c organization, so your membership dues and/or sponsorship is tax deductible.
Each year in October Wayne and Karen Sherry host a bus trip to Minneapolis, MN for three days and two nights. This years trip will be on October 11, 12, and 13, 2017. The trip begins on Wednesday morning at 7:30 AM and ends at 7:30 PM on Friday, and is a fundraiser for our Association, i.e. the Viroqua Bluegrass/Gospel Music Association VBGMA. Guests attend three or four theater events, and numerous other venues. If interested in more information, contact Wayne at his number listed below.
Do you have ideas? Please call me at (608) 606-4105 if you want to get involved in some way. I am excited about our next festival and anticipate a fun filled time for all who attend.
Viroqua Area Bluegrass/Gospel Music Association
PO BOX 323, Viroqua, WI 54665
Did You Know:
* that our association has a web site? Come and check us out at www.viroquabluegrass.org
* that we have a potluck supper on Thursday night of the festival (July 6th this year) You are invited!
* we have an “open stage” on Saturday at 11:00 AM? Bring your instrument and play /sing on stage.
* that there is “jamming” going on throughout the festival. Come and join in by playing and singing or listening.
* all of our facilities are handicap accessible at our festival?
* that we hold instrument workshops at 10:00 AM on Saturday of the festival? You are encouraged to participate.
* that we have a shuttle service from the festival grounds to downtown Viroqua and to our local Farmers Market on Saturday morning?
* that we sell T-shirts and sweatshirts with our festival logo on them? Buy one, look cool, and help us advertise.
* that you can buy raffle tickets and win a beautiful quilt made by Amy Erickson, or football tickets to a Packer Game, or cash money?
* that the “big tent” provides a comfortable location for you to sit while listening to the bands play, out of the sun and any inclement weather?
Association Board Members
Wayne Sherry, President; David Peterson, Vice-President; Judy Anderson Herr, Secretary; and Marilyn Kile, Treasurer
Directors: Eldon Gardner; Bob Bezin; Marilyn Wedwick; Amy Erickson; Luella Oliver; Donna Simonson, and Anna Pennington.
Memberships run from February 1, through January 31 each year, however, you can join at any time. Dues are $14.00 per person, $25.00 per couple and $30.00 for bands. Membership provides you with our annual news letter; eligibility for a $50.00 cash drawing at the Festival; and of course your satisfaction that you helped support our Festival financially.
2017 VBGMA MEMBERSHIP FORM
Type of Membership: _______New _____Renewal
______$14 individual _______$25 Couple/Family ______$30 Band
Phone: ___________________ Email: ____________________________
Any bluegrass instruments played? ________________________
Any bluegrass/gospel band affiliation? ______________________
Make checks out to VBGMA and mail along with the form to:
PO Box 323
Viroqua, WI 54665